Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The questions we were too scared to ask thread

Cheiro1

Re: The questions we were too scared to ask thread

Most horses get itchy in summer.

Sweet itch is an allergy, so the skin becomes inflammed and thickened, and the horses will rub and rub until they are raw. Most horses scratch but not to that extent. You can normally feel the scabs on a SI horse in the mane and tail where the inflammation is too which is a sure sign of SI.

Post Thanks / Like

Can't remember what the little bug is called, (small flying thing), but it's the bite/saliva that causes an allergic reaciton. The bug likes dawn and dusk, and muckheaps.

Bettyboo222

Another question (I am making myself sound really really stupid)

Can horses swim ?
    How does a curb chain work ?

Cheiro1

Yes, like a dog.

and

A curb chains main reason is It stops a curb bit's shank coming back past 45 degrees technically but the point depends on how tight it is. When the shank pulls back the chain tightens on the groove of the chin and the pressure between curb and chin means you cant pull the bit back any further. It can also aid with lightness in the forehand in the cases of doubles etc as the pressure on the chin encourages a horse to lift its head/forehand which is why a lot of advanced dressage horses are ridden with curb pads on so the curb can be done fairly tight

Post Thanks / Like

And just to add to C1's impressive description

If you put a curb chain on a horse that isn't used to one, you have to touch it very lightly until the horse gets used to it! I tried a Myler pelham on the Dizzy one, touched the curb rein to let her feel it (chain was at it's useable loosest length), and she almost sat down on the road her head came up so high and so quick! Not used one since as she is just too sensitive :o

Bettyboo222

Thank you

What is the difference between bell boots and over reach boots?

Pippipony

Nothing. Ot is just another name for them.
    Over reach boots are bell-shaped and made of rubber and fit around the lower portion of the pastern. They are used on the front feet to prevent the horse over-reaching. These boots can be used for all sports and are commonly used when jumping. Many horses are often turned out in over-reach boots as well as preventing injury they can prevent shoes being torn off.

Bettyboo222

Thank goodness for that I thought I was going mad

Last question I promise

What is the point in a grass tip or rubber/plastic shoe ?

Pippipony

Sov had rubber shoes whe she developed arthritis in her fetlock joints at 23. It eased the concussion on her legs & joints. She lvoed them!!
    So i would say the point of them is to reduce concussion.

Plastic shoes are usually glued on and so are useful for horses with thin hoof walls/damaged hooves or sometime lami where you need a shoe but don't want to nail it on.

The Grass Tip is a thin, half length shoe sometimes worn by horses/ponies during periods of rest at grass, it protects the wall of the foot at the toe, it is not commonly used since it upsets the balance of the foot

Bettyboo222

Thank you