Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Winter Time Saving Tips........

3Beasties

Winter Time Saving Tips........

Well Winter is well and truly on it's way so lets hear your Time saving tips to help us all survive the Winter :geek: :ugeek:

I'll Start........

If you use hay nets make up enough on your day off to save doing it in the mornings before work.

Mix up hard feed in advance (I usually do 4 days worth), store in a cool dry place and then all you have to do is add supplements and water/sugar beet before serving.

A thin rain sheet can save lots of grooming time as they can't get quite so caked in mud!

If your horse is in during the day (as well as at night) throw the bed up on to the banks so they have a thin 'day' bed, in the evening it's easy to quickly skip out and then chuck the full bed back down.

When a heavy frost is forecast fill as many water buckets up at possible beforehand so you don't have to spend ages defrosting taps/hoses/automatic waters.

Can't think of any more for now.......your turn............ :mrgreen:

Re: Winter Time Saving Tips........

Do not leave hoof picks on the floor on the yard, i've seen more than one frozen to it!

Post Thanks / Like

Um. Get some ski gloves - warm and waterproof. And a fleece hat that comes down over your ears. I've been toasty warm when others have been crying with cold :o

Have something to de-ice padlocks.

Salt/grit - stock up now!

Pippipony

Ball in water trough to help with freezing.

Cheiro1

P I tried that ball thing last winter, but I just ended up with a frozen water trough with ball frozen in middle! :lol:

Pippipony

Fair enough
    i found a bigger ball more useful, then i could push it down & had a n instant hole. But last year was haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaard on frost levels!

Cheiro1

The big ball thing sounds like I good idea, I might try that!

I know water buckets are a sod in winter but emptying them all over the yard on a night = falling on bum in the morning!

Pippipony

Why are people so thoughtless & stupid & do that? At my last yard in the summer yes we tipped them out the door, but in winter it made sense to walk a whole 10 metres to the grass & tip on there so there were no ice puddles. Yet there was always some idiot who would just throw the water out of the door. Being first one down in the morning it would then be me slipping & sliding until i could get the grit from the tack room :x :evil:

It drove me mad too!

One of my northern friends has opted for speedibeet in the winter due to the 'soaking' sugabeet partially freezing (yes it was in a feed room - stupid sub zero temps!) So that might be an idea if you are in a particularly cold area.

If you can, put the actual hose pipe indoors to stop it freezing/splitting, takes a lot less time to defrost a tap handle than it does an entire hose pipe!