Thread: Yards - Liveries - Timings

Threaded View

Post Thanks / Like

Yards - Liveries - Timings

Do people at livery yards tend to think that because they don't see a particular owner visit their horse every day then it's not being seen?

Or, do people tend to have the sense to realise that given that a horse has its hooves done, other liveries are friends, etc etc, then there is every likelihood that the horse is being cared for?

I ask because I spoke to a livery at one of our new yards the other day. All seem nice, friendly people, so happy to have a natter. The person said that if we couldn't go every day she'd be happy to check on GM for us and to bring her into the stable for half an hour. I said thank you, that was kind and I'd bear it in mind if we ever got stuck (meaning to watch how she is with horses and to see if she'd take instruction as GM can be an absolute twonk and if you don't handle it right it can quickly escalate). I said that GM seemed remarkably chilled, but she's not a trustworthy horse in that respect. I also pointed out that D1 checks GM every day and we didn't find it an issue, but reiterated that it was a kind thought and if we needed her help we'd let her know. Forgot to say: I explained why GM is out 24/7 (on vets orders until D1 starts working her, which is in then three weeks time).

Fast forward to today. D1 checks GM and on her way back up from the field, said lady tells her she had brought GM in the other day for a while and turned her out again. D1 went Eh?! Lady says it's okay, your mum said so, i.e. me(!). I get the war and peace of all texts from D1. I explain to D1 what was actually said.

D1 has also been wondering why GM's mane and tail have no knots in and feels sort of silky - it would appear (and this is currently conjecture), that said lady has groomed GM and put some sort of conditioner/anti-tangle in her mane and tail. I so hope that bit isn't fact and it's just an odd coincidence. I can't begin to say what I would want to if it is fact as I might just lose the plot. Apart from why would you bring up someone else's horse unless you had express permission, how the bloody dare anyone then handle the horse and put products on it?! I'm just hoping GM wasn't fed anything. She reacts so badly to sugars .

The lady told D1 that GM was running at the gate, so she tought the orse wasored and would bring her in(!). I remember this part of our conversation well! I told her GM pair bonds easily and the only way to break it is to separate her from the other horse; she'll get her knickers in a twist for a few days, but after that she'll be okay. If she's allowed to follow the horse then she'll become unbearable.

My friend at the yard offered to have a word with the lady. I initially said yes, but then thinking about it I don't want to cause strife (I'm trying really hard to accept that's she's just an extra nice lady who completely misunderstood our conversation (though how she managed that I don't know, but I'll go with it as I don't know her from Eve)). I'm going to try and get there tomorrow in time to see her. My friend will comment if she sees her going for GM. The only other option is if I speak to the unofficial YM, who seems a lovely chap, but I'm sort of holding that in reserve.

Yipes! Sorry for the epic post. Just wanted to get other peoples' views - WWYD?
    Last edited by MrsMozart; 05-06-2013 at 09:38 PM.