Thread: I Don't Think I'm Going to Get Another Horse

Post Thanks / Like

I Don't Think I'm Going to Get Another Horse

At least not in the foreseeable future, unless the right one rocks up out of the blue

I have Titch, so in two years time or so I'll back him, hopefully to be my ride, but if he doesn't make the height, well, I'll rethink then.

For now I think I have so much on, so may things started, we're planning a move, which will take up time and energy.

I'm not used to being on a yard and getting back into yard politics is, I find, knackering

It feels like getting another horse would be just adding one too many to my can-cope-with-and-do-properly-and-well list.

Money is also a factor. We still spend a small mortgage on the horses every month(as opposed to the large mortgage we were spending ). It would be wise to use that saving to pay off debt and put money aside.

And last, but by no means least, my weight and fitness. I need to lose a lot more of the former and gain a lot more of the latter! I want to be able to pick and choose and if one more person proposes a steady weight bearing cob I'll cry. Nothing against cobs whatsoever (I have one!), but next time I might fancy something else - maybe an Arab if Endurance is to be my new hobby

I'll have lessons when I've found the right place and kind friend's have offered rides, so I won't be rideless. It's still pants that the Dizz is gone and I still find it too hard to accept (I know it, I just don't want to accept it). If she were still here then things would be different, but she's not and never will be.
    Last edited by MrsMozart; 05-06-2013 at 08:50 PM.

svmel
    I think that is very sensible.

Spend the time you do have playing with Titch and strengthening your bond with him.

Now, I'm off to read your other thread about not buying a horse.....

spookypony
    Ditto SVMel! It's sometimes not a bad idea to consolidate. I eventually want a dressage horse to go up the levels, but first I need to a) be less broke, and b) regain my mojo in a serious way. So having a loan mare that I can do dressage with while pursuing goal b) seems like a very good plan at the moment. For goal a), does anyone have need of a soprano?

You've had a rough time of it horsey-wise the last while. But there's a wee horsey to bring on, and others to sit on in the meantime, so perhaps cutting yourself some slack isn't a bad plan all round!

Now off to see what you've gone and done in the other thread...

leflynn
    Sounds like a good move for the moment, at least if things change you can change with them! If you were up north you'd be welcome to potter with my two (same for any other ToH)

Post Thanks / Like
    Aye.

I had wanted a hunter type. Would quite like to go hunting and get in with a nice crowd.

But, then I thought that Endurance ticks a lot of my boxes as well...

So! A horse that can do Endurance to a decent level, that I can also take hunting, do a bit of low level dressage (just to track our schooling really), and the odd ODE for fun.

Does that sound feasible/realistic?

(I'd love a soprano, but until we sell the software to some huge conglomerate... )

spookypony
    Sounds to me like an Arab X or TB X, or possibly even an Arab X TB would tick a lot of those boxes. I believe they do come in "sensible", if you look around! I know a few Arab X Highlands that are smashing little horses. I love Trakehners, myself, but then I'm German...

Cheiro1
    MrsM you didn't just use hunting and nice crowd in the same sentence did you?

Your hunts must be very different to ours! The majority of our hunts are made up of the MOST stuck up people I have ever met. That said it is very good fun and I dearly miss being sat on G whizzing round the countryside! lol

I think you have to be fairly non-precious about your horse mind. I think if I was getting a hunter I wouldn't get anything other than an ID or similar these days, I would be too paranoid taking a TB or something out hunting.

Post Thanks / Like
    The joys of being up-country - we have nice hunts lol

As I wouldn't be going for a spindly legged thing anyway, I'm guessing the horse would be up to the odd hunt without too much hassle. We have hedges rather than stone walls here.