Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yards - Liveries - Timings

Post Thanks / Like

Yards - Liveries - Timings

Do people at livery yards tend to think that because they don't see a particular owner visit their horse every day then it's not being seen?

Or, do people tend to have the sense to realise that given that a horse has its hooves done, other liveries are friends, etc etc, then there is every likelihood that the horse is being cared for?

I ask because I spoke to a livery at one of our new yards the other day. All seem nice, friendly people, so happy to have a natter. The person said that if we couldn't go every day she'd be happy to check on GM for us and to bring her into the stable for half an hour. I said thank you, that was kind and I'd bear it in mind if we ever got stuck (meaning to watch how she is with horses and to see if she'd take instruction as GM can be an absolute twonk and if you don't handle it right it can quickly escalate). I said that GM seemed remarkably chilled, but she's not a trustworthy horse in that respect. I also pointed out that D1 checks GM every day and we didn't find it an issue, but reiterated that it was a kind thought and if we needed her help we'd let her know. Forgot to say: I explained why GM is out 24/7 (on vets orders until D1 starts working her, which is in then three weeks time).

Fast forward to today. D1 checks GM and on her way back up from the field, said lady tells her she had brought GM in the other day for a while and turned her out again. D1 went Eh?! Lady says it's okay, your mum said so, i.e. me(!). I get the war and peace of all texts from D1. I explain to D1 what was actually said.

D1 has also been wondering why GM's mane and tail have no knots in and feels sort of silky - it would appear (and this is currently conjecture), that said lady has groomed GM and put some sort of conditioner/anti-tangle in her mane and tail. I so hope that bit isn't fact and it's just an odd coincidence. I can't begin to say what I would want to if it is fact as I might just lose the plot. Apart from why would you bring up someone else's horse unless you had express permission, how the bloody dare anyone then handle the horse and put products on it?! I'm just hoping GM wasn't fed anything. She reacts so badly to sugars .

The lady told D1 that GM was running at the gate, so she tought the orse wasored and would bring her in(!). I remember this part of our conversation well! I told her GM pair bonds easily and the only way to break it is to separate her from the other horse; she'll get her knickers in a twist for a few days, but after that she'll be okay. If she's allowed to follow the horse then she'll become unbearable.

My friend at the yard offered to have a word with the lady. I initially said yes, but then thinking about it I don't want to cause strife (I'm trying really hard to accept that's she's just an extra nice lady who completely misunderstood our conversation (though how she managed that I don't know, but I'll go with it as I don't know her from Eve)). I'm going to try and get there tomorrow in time to see her. My friend will comment if she sees her going for GM. The only other option is if I speak to the unofficial YM, who seems a lovely chap, but I'm sort of holding that in reserve.

Yipes! Sorry for the epic post. Just wanted to get other peoples' views - WWYD?
    Last edited by MrsMozart; 05-06-2013 at 09:38 PM.

leflynn
    I think I'd thank the lady that brought gm in but explain its not needed again maybe and the reasons why?

Everyone used to feed red treats until i asked them not to and a reason why!

Post Thanks / Like
    Aye LF. Hadn't thought of the thank you, but will . I just hope she doesn't only hear the 'thank you' and not take in the reasoning (as I've already explained it all once and that's gone in one ear and out the other!). Plus, part of the reason is, I simply don't want her to! I wouldn't dream of doing something with someone else's horse unless it was in dire straits or need or the owner had asked me to.

I shall go and practice being nice

Same goes with treats! I always ask permission first.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would fly off my handle!!
    I don't care how good someone's intentions are, people do not handle my horse unless I ask specifically, or unless one horse would be left out alone.

svmel
    I would have to keep my inner warrior in check...

Then, I would go and talk to her about it. Ask or say politely but rather bluntly 'I think you may have misunderstood our conversation. I am grateful for the offer you made, but I DO NOT want anyone doing anything with my horse unless I have specifically asked that day. So if you have not heard from me please leave her alone. She is on a strict regime from the vet due to health issues and even something that does not seem like it may cause a big deal WILL' oir something like that. I think you will have to be polite but quite blunt and firm.

Sounds like a misunderstanding coupled with a person who maybe slightly wooly headed. Nip it in the bud anyway you need to xxxx

svmel
    Of course, in my head I would be yelling and spitting blood xxx

Post Thanks / Like
    RG - indeed. I'm holding it in check in case it is simply a misunderstanding(!).

S - aye. Hm. I've sent a text (I had my friend who knows the lady check it first!). I can't get there until tomorrow evening and I really, really don't want her to get hurt. GM is being remarkably chilled but a) she can and will walk through someone and if the person remonstrates she'll wind up, and if they let it pass she'll get worse very quickly; and b) she pair bonds like a twonk and then acts like a twonk, the only way to manage it is to ignore her silliness and act like it's not big deal, i.e. leave her to figure it out, if she's brought in because she's running around (because 'her' horse has left the field) she'll do it and some more next time!

I've not had a response to the text yet. Fingers crossed it all goes away nicely. I really do not have the patience to deal with other people these days. Work and other parts of life are stressful enough without having to deal with something so silly (but potentially dangerous).

MissMillie
    I'd of confronted her, probably in the same way you have done. Why the hell do people a) not listen and b) handle horses without permission.

Hope you sort it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ta

Heres the text I sent (the names have been changed to protect the innocent lil):

Hi It's xxxxx from the yard (with GM). Sorry for the text, we miss each other at the yard I just wanted to say thank you for bringing GM in the other day Don't worry about doing it again though, one of us (or xxxx/xx) checks her everyday If she's stressing it's because her bonded horse has left the field. We have to go through a few days or so of her being a twonk - if we give in then she quickly becomes a pain in the wotsit! She's been remarkably chilled so far, but she can be blinking rude to lead and I'd hate for anyone to be run over by her! She's still under the vet and has to be out 24/7 until she comes back into work in approx two weeks time. It's frustrating but we so want her to come sound (been lame since last September). Xxxx can't wait to get working with her again )
    Anyhoo, I better sign off and go and do some work. Will no doubt see you at the weekend C.x

Not had a response yet. Am wondering if her number has changed. I should see her tomorrow

svmel
    Very well thought out and polite.

However, I fear it may not be blunt enough, but hope the lady proves me wrong!!!!! I tend to be wary and suspicious of people these days and have stopped giving them the benefit of any doubt because I'm expecting the worst!!!!!!!