Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EEEEEEEK! Shall I buy a new saddle?!

spookypony

EEEEEEEK! Shall I buy a new saddle?!

Am very excited! Had a saddler out this morning, who spent 1 1/2 hours with me and the Ballerina Mare. I was looking to try a Heather Moffett saddle, which had been recommended to me as a possibility. The saddler agreed that the HM seem to either really suit a horse and/or person, or not, and said something with worried me a bit, namely that she thought they were not really suitable for people who were having trouble with a stable seat.

There was lots of measuring, palpating, and trotting up, and she noted:
    1. the mare needs an even shorter saddle: a 16"! (She agreed that my thigh length suggests an 18".)
    2. the mare had some tightness in her shoulders, which is interesting: I recently had a conversation with a knowledgeable person who suggested that the difficulty we've been having getting a proper heel-first landing from her, might be related to tightness higher up in her body, rather than problems with her feet (which look great now).

So we popped a saddle on, and I had a sit in it. The first thing we noticed was that my legs instantly fell exactly where they should. The second thing we noticed was that the mare was eager to stretch her neck forward and down, and became much freer in her shoulder movement almost immediately. The saddler said that I seemed very stable, and she had just assumed that I have a stable position. I'm now wondering if my troubles are largely to do with the old saddle, and perhaps I'm not quite as crap as I sometimes feel! The 16" length wasn't a problem, because I could ride very long. We then tried some blocks, which I found helpful for letting me know when I was about to grip with my knees, and which are interchangeable with different shapes and sizes.

We also talked about other possibilities. Her need for a short saddle and my long legs mean that other than the HM, I'm essentially limited to at least part-custom saddles, although she suggested I might also look up the Ideal Rebecca, as it's a bit simpler than the more up-scale models and therefore possibly a bit more flexible as to whom it can be fitted to. She did think that the HM appeared to be a very good solution for both of us.

I did some poking around, and found that the Rebecca, even used, would be pushing my price range, even if I found it in a 16", which seems to be rare. I'm very strongly leaning towards going for the HM (new! Checked the used page on FB, and no-one has one). What do we all think?

2. Likes MrsMozart liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm very much of the opinion, having been bounced round like a pea on a rather unhappy kangaroo when a saddle wasn't just right on the Dizz, that one should go with ones gut feeling, which in this case sounds like this HM saddle.

I'd do some research, make sure there's nothing bleugh likely to bite either of you in the butt, and go for it

P.S. If the current saddle isn't right for you/horse then you won't be stable and horse will be stiff.
    Last edited by MrsMozart; 14-02-2015 at 02:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not the best to advise, as I gave had terrible trouble with saddle fitters, culminating in one fitting a saddle so badly, she lamed the horse. Almost a court case.... We now fit ourselves and get an old fashioned ex military saddler to adjust as needed.
    However, there comes a time when you need to resort to something else.
    You sound like you've reached this point!
    From what you say, i would be tempted to stick with the saddle you tried. You know your horse went better in it, and you felt good with it.
    Can you try it again before making a final decision?
    It is a lot of money is you need to be totally happy with what you decide for yourself and the mare.

leflynn
    If you're happy, bm is happy then sometimes its better to bite the bullet and be done!

Alwaysbroke
    Have come to the conclusion that the horse is the best judge of saddle fit, even my saddler agrees having seen the antic one can get up to into with a saddle that 'fits' him, but he doesn't agree, so I would go with gut instinct if BM and you are happy with the one you tried.....

Post Thanks / Like
    I would go for it if you and bm like it makes such a difference having the right saddle

spookypony
    I'm talking to my instructor about it tomorrow, and will then talk to the saddle lady again. Maybe she'll let me try it at a lesson, too. But in general, I'm leaning towards buying it! Rode the SP today in his saddle, and kept thinking how much nicer the other one feels...

9. Likes Spottyappy, MrsMozart liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does that mean the spooky pony will be demanding a new one too?

11. Likes MrsMozart liked this post
    spookypony
    I wish! If I get it, I may change the gullet and try it on him to see if he likes it.

13. Likes Spottyappy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That'd be handy if he does.
    Will he forgive you if you brought if for bm not him, but he only got to share it?

15. Likes MrsMozart liked this post