Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog Insurance

3Beasties

Dog Insurance

Sorry, another one from me!

Do you insure your dogs? If so who with? Has anyone had any experience with Tesco insurance?

Sam isn't insured and neither was Toby. Toby did require vet treatment over the years (due to doing silly terrier things like getting stuck under a tree for 4 days!) but I doubt it cost anywhere near the amount we would have had to pay for insurance over the 17 years we had him. Sam isn't insured and up until recently had never seen the vet but now potentially will require ongoing medical attention.
    Our first dog, a GSD, was insured but I don't think we ever really claimed; despite the premium going up annually!

I had planned to get puppy insured, mainly because she is my responsibility and I don't want to be in the situation of big vet bills and no money again! (I know mum would help me out if needed but that's not the point!). While Toby was my dog, I got him when I was really young so I never really took over the financial side of things with him; we'd sort of share vet bills etc. So Jazz will be the first one I'm flying solo with!

Post Thanks / Like
    We insure both of ours as cannot afford a massive unexpected bill, and fortunately/unfortunately we have had to claim a couple of times and they have probably paid out what we have paid in.

We were with tesco, they were fantastic at paying out nearly £1000 for our retriever a couple of years ago but we have now changed to animal friends as tesco kept increasing their premium to ridiculous amounts each year, even for the dog with no claims! But they were fab when we had to claim.

Pippipony
    We've insured Jem with John Lewis as premiums for ex racing greyhounds can be silly. ALways insured the horses so thought it prudent with the dog.

svmel
    We never insured the family dogs and I didn't with mine, however, mum and dad now have insurance for their current one and I would defo have it if I ever got another. No help on who is good though!

Post Thanks / Like
    We've insured doggette.

Being a GSD the prices go up for everything! Having funded an emergency middle of the night operation for my Saint Bernard (£2.5k six years ago), we're very concious of unexpected costs.

Can't remember who we went with...

Meggymoo
    Ours are with Petplan. By no means the cheapest, but think we have probably had our money back several times over, through the years. Also, our vets are happy to send bills direct to Petplan so we don't have to pay up then claim back, which always seems to be defeating the object to me. (They won't do that with all other insurance companies)

Mud monster is with NFU. Again not the cheapest, but have paid up no problem and again, a company that her vets will deal direct with.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cats and dog are with tesco, 3b.
    I have - touch wood- never claimed though so I can't vouch for how they are in the event of a claim.

leflynn
    Same as SA for boots 3B

3Beasties
    Do you find your premiums go up a lot yearly even if you haven't claimed?

leflynn
    Gone up £3 per month in the last 3 years but then ex and I would switch who had the account each year and it seemed to make it cheaper oddly enough and we got freebies as if new customers !

11. Likes MrsMozart liked this post