Thread: Bunny Housing - help please

Post Thanks / Like

Question Bunny Housing - help please

I must pick people's brains re outside housing for buns.

Lord and Lady are still living in the dining room. They'll probably stay there now until next Spring as it might be too cold to put them outside, unless we can insulate their new home.

It's the new home that I need guidance on, i.e. what base, what size, etc etc etc!

They do have Bunny Manor - it's too small on its own, but I'd like to incorporate into the new pad.

tabithakat64
    Absolutely the best thing I ever did was invest in shadow and roses roofed avairy. It's on a concrete base so is dig proof. If your hubby is handy it would be easy -ish to make one, just remember to use hard wood and treat it before attaching 16g weld mesh. Then I'd put the bunny manor inside as a den/bedroom area (I'm using a cheap bike shed that Mike customised)

There's lots of housing ideas on the rwaf site.

If bunnies are happy in dinning room and you're happy for them to be in there then you could just get a run and hide house for summer use.

Or you could attach an additional run to your current stuff using a runaround tunnel system (welfare hutches also do them) if i remember your garden is on several levels so this might work. Runs on slabs, concrete or with weld mesh under turf are best as they're predator proof.

Current recommendations are a minimum of a 6x2x2 hutch attached to an 8x4x3 run or 60 square foot. From a person point of view something walk in that is roofed is best.

3. Thanks MrsMozart thanked for this post
    Likes MrsMozart liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you kindly m'duck

We were going to do a hutch at either side of the first lawn with strong mesh tunnels connecting them, but it would mean a lot of digging and I'm not sure we could go far enough before hitting rock. Leaving the tunnels above ground would be okay if we were staying, but we're not; 'not staying' is also the issue with leaving them in the dining room (prospective buyers!). Hm. Don't want them far from the house as they and we enjoy the interaction. Maybe we can extend Bunny Manor for now and do the aviary idea (which I like very much!) when we've moved.

tabithakat64
    Have a look at the runaround plastic tunnels, they're easy to move around and you could disconnect them when you have house viewings

6. Thanks MrsMozart thanked for this post
    Likes MrsMozart liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good thinking! Do you know if they're they fox proof?