Thread: Cat food

Post Thanks / Like

Cat food

But of a random thread I know!

Following on a bit from cats at my dads, I noticed more than ever that they are a bit thin. One has always been very thin and is very fussy, the other used to be much fatter than he is now! They are now 11 and have always been fed cheap ish food. They adlib feed so can't physically give them more.

Basically anyone have a cat? What food do you feed?

I feel that they need some more senior food, more calorific?

Currently at mums having good results from the Royal canin food so might give that a try.

Post Thanks / Like
    We have Go Cat (Chicken, Duck and Rabbit), which I think we've stuck with as it's the only one our first cat would eat.

What about sardines or similar as additional feed?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks! We feed Go Cat here at mums along side the Royal canin as a treat in the evening. May give it a go.

Could add extra but the girl cat won't eat it and I would have to be there to feed it unfortunately. My other problem is any wet food and the girl will then stop eating dry food completely. Wonder if I could find something she would eat, sardines I have tried in the past, and mackerel. Will have to have a look in the supermarket.

Have a feeling it will be trial and error! I never see them eat as the food is up on the side due to the dog and the cats are too scared to get there in daytime as they have to walk through house/dog chases But can't put food elsewhere as cats not allowed anywhere the dog isn't. Sigh.

4. Hugs MrsMozart Hugs
    tabithakat64
    We use gourmet pearle wet food and Royal Cain dry as Tish is ultra fussy, It was a case of buying lots of single serving of different things and trying them out.

Cats need to have some wet food in their diet (most prefer gravy based ones to pates), senior cat food generally has less calories in it as people assume older cats are less active.

At age 11 it would be worth getting the cat tested for kidney or thyroid issues as this is usually the age they start to show up. Mild issues can often be helped by a veterinary diet but it's best that you speak to your vet directly about this. When were the cats last wormed, this could also be the cause of weight loss? Do either of them need a dental? There can be many causes of apparent fussy behaviour.

6. Thanks Always_A_Moody_Mare, MrsMozart thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Tk!

I have bought some royal canin 12+ to give it a go, bought a tiny bag first to see if they will eat it!

Didn't realise senior cat food had less calories but that makes sense! My real issue is I cannot feed them wet food as the girl cat will refuse all dry food for weeks afterwards and i'm not there to feed the wet food if you see what I mean? She has always been like this, we have tried a couple of times but she has always been very skinny and very fussy! Vets not too bothered last time they went as she has always been like it.

Worming was next on my list to check - I meant to ask when they were last done the last time I was there but it turned into an argument and I completely forgot, I will ask this evening. I would love to take them to my usual vet who is brilliant for a check up but dad doesn't ever take them. Will have to work on him even if it is for me to take them/pay etc - they mean the world to me and it would be good to know they were ok.

I never knew what a mind field cat food is!!

8. Hugs MrsMozart Hugs
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well they like it so that's a start!!

10. Likes MrsMozart liked this post
    Hugs MrsMozart Hugs