Thread: What to do with Titch?

Post Thanks / Like

What to do with Titch?

I think decision is almost made, but would be interested in your thoughts.

Titch is aptly named, i.e. he's about 13hh. He doesn't have any withers and is definitely a leg at each corner coblette. However does have quite a decent barrel on him.

D1 and I are both about 5'8" and quite long legged, which is going to make for interesting saddle fitting on a short-backed ned.

A friend suggested that he's never going to be big enough for us so we should consider selling him without having him backed. He's due to go for backing at the end of May, with to date just having had a saddle on, a rider, bitted, walked around. I did have a go at long reining but it didn't go well and then I couldn't stop laughing, which didn't help.

For completeness I had to add that I love the lad. He's a blinking cheeky chappie who doesn't have a bad bone in his body. I think he'll enjoy a working life and that he'll be quite forward going.

So folks, what would you do with the Titch? Sell as is, back and sell, or keep and find a way of having a hoot with him?

3Beasties
    What about breaking him to harness and keeping him for yourself to drive?

Or have him backed and try and find a rider to have fun with him from where you keep him.

It's a tricky one and a situation I am constantly in with Millie as she loves to work but I can never find anyone to ride her. Really we were stupid buying somthing that was never going to be big enough for us but hindsight is a great thing!

I don't think selling him is the worst idea tbh. He's got many years ahead and realistically, throughout that time you will always be needing to find new riders as he is likely to be outgrown regularly. Saying that, if you are not particularly bothered about whether he works or not then there's no reason not to keep him.

(Ps - in relation to the yard thread it will be much easier for you to only have to deal with the chores that come with stabling if you only had one to do).

3. Thanks MrsMozart thanked for this post
    Likes Spottyappy, MrsMozart liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Didn't want to read and run, it's a difficult decision. Agree that selling him isn't the worst idea, but understand how difficult it would be given how much of a nice 'person' he is.

May be able to sell easier if he was backed? But breaking him to drive for youselves may be fun too! I'm sure you'll make the right decision.

5. Thanks MrsMozart thanked for this post
    Likes MrsMozart liked this post
    svmel
    3b has pretty much said everything I was thinking.

Realistically he's not ever going to be big enough for you guys to ride. I'm 5 ft 7 (just about) and ten stone, and I would only really jump on a 13hh pony for a few minutes, even if they're stocky. When I was a lot lighter it was a different matter.... (Oh for those days again!)

So I think it's down to whether he's going to be happy doing nothing; whether you want to drive or do agility etc; whether you want to find suitable jockeys every so often.... And so on.

It used to be that they sell more easily if already started and riding away, but I don't know these days, a lot of people like to start themselves now.....

7. Thanks MrsMozart thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    TBH, I would sell.
    Hes not going to be big enough to be useful, although I am sure he would carry you both and more besides!
    but, at 13hh, even with a barrel, you will struggle with leg aids amongst other things.
    the driving is an interesting idea, however.....
    I think he would sell better once backed, but not sure if it would be cost effective.

9. Thanks MrsMozart thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you all Excellent to get some other views

I'd decided I wanted to keep him and have him backed, as I'd like to know he's put on the right path to build a good foundation for his future.

After this thinking, which I didn't share with anyone, there were two independent bits of good and interesting news A friend's daughter is going to ride him He'll box up with her pony and get out and about, which will be grand as D1 will be able to help out by hopping onto both as required; and, D would like to have him in harness. That's going to be a hoot

Anyhoo, thank you again folks. I'll let y'all know how we get on with both plans.