Thread: Yard - a possible move...

Post Thanks / Like

Yard - a possible move...

Or rather, it was a possible move, but just found out the yard I'd been hankering after for a couple of years has changed it's winter turn out policy.

The gist was, until another trip there yesterday, that I'd move Titch and Murphmeister to a lovely yard not far from home and on my way home from every client. Nice place. Decent school. Lovely YO.

I was wittering (so what's new) about going back to being tied to stable duties twice a day, putting it on D again, the additional cost, etc. etc. etc.

Part of my wittering was that Titch wasn't good at being stabled last time and Murph hasn't spent more than about a day and a half in one. I thought I could do some stable training with both of them, make it nice in there for them and build it up slowly, however...

...when I called by yesterday the nice lady I spoke to said the YO has changed the rule and it's now in every other day. I forgot to ask if one could free-school as neither of these two have been lunged, but even if that was possible, it wouldn't give me chance to build them up to being stabled.

So, what was a burning question of what should I do for the best for the neds, has now turned into I don't think I'll be moving them. We can hire a school within hacking distance and they can continue to live out 24/7/365.

Admittedly I'd liked the idea of having them in stables. Of having a hose and being able to give them a bath. And just general handling.

I think the plan is to go back to Plan A, from way back when, and try to somehow get our own place. It's not really liikely, especially not around here (though the prices aren't anything like darnsarf), so maybe I'll see if I can use a friendly local yard's facilities to get both neds used to stables and hoses and baths and and and

Post Thanks / Like
    Agree that daily turn out is a must for young horses (or any horse for that matter) so that would probably change my decision too and I would stay put - as long as there are enough facilities near by that you can use. Only downside is that from experience it's much easier to not do something with the neds if you have to actually make an effort to take them seomwhere. But it can be done!

3. Thanks MrsMozart thanked for this post
    Likes MrsMozart liked this post
    svmel
    Can't remember exactly what - if any - others are in the field with yours.... are decent field shelters that give you the option of keeping in not an option? Xxx

5. Thanks MrsMozart thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    While not ideal for backing, I have done plenty without stabling and an all weather surface.
    The biggest issue is if the weather gives us a wet summer as that makes it more difficult.
    I also think that not being abe to turn out daily is a no go, and especially with young horses.

7. Thanks MrsMozart thanked for this post
    tabithakat64
    Agree with SA

9. Thanks MrsMozart thanked for this post