Thread: He's ruining his teeth!!!

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

He's ruining his teeth!!!

I had the dentist out a couple of days ago. He pointed out that one of Jimmys teeth was inflamed and red (well the gum anyway)
    It's the one in front of where the bit sits.

I know exactly what has caused it.
    He grabs the hinge of his stable door and then pulls back and twangs his tooth off it.
    He does it for attention/like door kicking.
    When I get to the yard, if I'm not there immediately with his Haynet. If I'm not quick enough putting him in the field. If there is no turnout for a day.
    Hes only 9, I don't want him damaging his teeth!

The dentist mentioned I could put something on the hinge that doesn't taste too nice, but it would have to be something that doesn't wear off too quick since its normally when I haven't been there long when he starts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Try the No bite spray.
    Or, his own manure. Horses don't like that either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ditto SA's suggestions.

Horses! Who'd have 'em.

leflynn
    Cribbox might work, or if you are Red you curl your lips, pull faces lick it off and then continue as you were.... :o I have old conveyor belt over the top of the door for him to crib on (heavyweight lino ish) so it protects his teeth a little bit (he's 11 cribbed all his life and still eats!)

svmel
    Cribbox, hot mustard (although one of mine liked that!), marmite, anything he doesn't like (Mine also loved marmite )

If it is an attention thing, reverse the thought process. Don't give him attention when he does it. Don't go to him, walk away, do something else. Change the situation.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it has abcessed. I looked this morning and it's now an open wound like a blister if you removed the skin from the top :-/
    Silly bloody horse