Thread: Older Shih Tzu - food to gain weight?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Older Shih Tzu - food to gain weight?

We have a fourteen year old Shih Tzu who is losing weight, although remains bright eyed and bushy tailed. The vet doesn't have any suggestions as he's otherwise fit and well.

He's not that bothered about food and doesn't have all his teeth. We'll often hand feed him tidbits of anything that he shows an interest in, but it would be good to find a food he'll eat daily.

3Beasties
    What's he fed?

Post Thanks / Like
    A good question!

Trying to remember... He loses interest so we tend to change every couple of weeks or so. I'll looksee tomorrow and report back.

leflynn
    Sardines in oil are what I use to keep Boots at a good weight sometimes (also makes him hungry and shiny)

5. Thanks MrsMozart thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thankies.

Unfortunately he won't eat fish of any sort. I tried tricking him by pretending it was mine, but no joy. Daft blinking dog!

3Beasties
    When Toby got older and started loosing weight we mixed wet food into his biscuits? Seemed to do the trick!

8. Thanks MrsMozart thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Far more sensible than this one! He leaves the biscuit even when it's soaked in the juice.

leflynn
    Could you switch to a raw type diet?

11. Thanks MrsMozart thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Used to have them all on raw. He likes the odd bit but won't take much these days (prefers it cooked).
    He's just a blinking contrary wee dog! It's a bloody good job he's so loved.